Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Picture called Reality


A picture really is worth a thousand words. If you look hard at the smiling people, you see that maybe one’s smile is forced. The girl on the side looks bored, like she doesn’t want to be in the picture. And maybe the girl who you thought was you’re closest friend? She’s edging away from the camera, caught mid glance at someone else.
These details might seem unimportant, but they mean everything. Instead of looking at the big picture, look at what’s really there. In front of our faces, yet right under our noses. It doesn’t take a fortune teller to foresee the kind of person one is.
So I’ve been looking at things realistically, but not overanalyzing anything. I’m going with the flow, hanging out with all my friends, and doing some pretty crazy (I know, but still: YOLO) things. I have a special place where I and my other two friends go that no one knows about. It’s a cliff that overlooks the whole western Side of zichron, and I love it. It’s a place that really makes you lie down, stare at the stars, and just think. You feel your problems drift away like the shaped passing clouds. There are more important things than a friendship, and some things are created so that we can get over them.
On a spur of the moment get together with A, and D, which involved some pretty crazy dancing, and the cotton eye Joe, I realized that no matter what, I do have friends that I know, without even having to say it out loud, that these are the people who will have my back whenever I need it. These are the girls who will help me get through tenth grade, get me out of my anxiety, and get me to dance to We are Never Ever getting back together, which is NOT an easy thing to do. Friendships are not the kind of things that need to e announced or updated. Nobody has to post “Status: mega best friends” to tell. There made up of many moments, where without words, you get it. I think it’s one of the best feelings in the world, knowing that people love you for your quirks, flaws, and imperfections. Hiding them just makes the relationship phony.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that this somehow connects back to that one picture. The one you dig up from your bottom drawer, and you automatically put it there because you hair doesn’t look good, or you didn’t like your outfit that day. But I think these are the best ways to tell what and who has changed, and what always stays the same. When I look back at my friends in the photos, I don’t try to pretend that I don’t understand it. Some people never change. They may change their look, style, or opinions, but you can’t change what’s programmed into your brain. And I’m not saying this pessimistically-when I look at that picture, I do see other things. Friends who broke out of their shells, and friends who are just plain fun to be with. Half of the reason I was so stressed last year is to blame on social issues. Since I’ve decided to be the best Hanna I can be, I’ve seen a lot of changes in myself that make me a healthier person.
I just thought I should say this to any of the people who don’t see the details in the peaceful photo; some things are exactly as they seem, others are shockingly false. For anybody out there who is nervous about friends, and peer pressure, know that you are not alone. The key escape route is being 110% honest with yourself, and finding those close friends who really get you.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment