Sunday, December 16, 2012

Heart in Newtown


I can’t get the fact out of my mind, and I can’t grip onto the realizing that this is reality, that we live in the world we do. That somewhere, a million miles away, a man woke up and decided to end his days, and many other innocent people who have yet to see the world. These kids have yet to have their firs sleepover, birthday trip, boyfriend, and most of all, to just live. Everything in their lives was stripped from them on the day this one man wakes up and decides that it ends today. I can’t even begin to imagine how the parents felt when they were waiting in the parking lot, searching desperately amongst the wave of kids. Searching for a kid who was still in the building, lying in a pool of blood. The blood of heroes. And still people wait for a kid who took his last day at Sandy Hook elementary school. As for the kids who survived this tragedy and were witnesses to their friends shot in front of their eyes, I think about how someone can ever get over a sight like that. No matter how old you are, you will always remember the day the walls went “pop” and you hid in the bathrooms, or ran past the hooded man. And these kids will have to make a choice about how they will live with their grief, something no first, second, third grader or anyone for the matter should ever have to go through.  I just wanted to write this to remember the heroes who died in the school building of Connecticut, Colorado, everywhere in this world where people have faced this situation. You will never be forgotten. Every day, everywhere, there will be parents who put their kids to bed, nd think about how thankful they are that their kid is with them safe. There will be the parents who will try to make their kids forget about their grief, parents who will block it out. And then there are the parents who go to bed early, packing up an empty room, the only thing in sight is the princess lamp peeking out of the cold box. They will lock the door, lose the key, and maybe open it up, if they’re ready. Which may never happen. These kids and their brave teachers deserve a world better than this on, and I know they will get that, if there is a god. And when they are there, nothing can hurt them, and they will live there, watching us deal with our sadness. But they will never be forgotten. Americans everywhere unite as one to face this great tragedy, and even though this will never be able to erase what has happened, there will be another person out there who cares. For those teachers and kids who lost their lives, I cannot even imagine better and braver people. Even though I don’t personally know you, I know that everybody who did know you were very lucky people.

No comments:

Post a Comment